Tuesday, September 8, 2015

First blog post – creating for you!

Over the years I've often thought about, and attempted to make, various websites without ever fully completing them. The problem isn't that I am unable to make a website or that I lack ideas for content. No, I have plenty of ideas, too many sometimes. It’s just acting upon them is proving to be the challenge. This comes through an internal struggle with my self-identity and trying to find my purpose here on this earth.

At the age of 46 I find myself in the privileged position of not having to go to work. It's not that I don't want to work but circumstances have prevented me from doing so. This has subsequently left me with a whole lot of time on my hands causing me to do much soul searching to try and figure out what exactly I should be doing with my life.

The answer started coming to me recently after reading someone else’s blog. Her solution to leading a fulfilling life is both simple and eye-opening at the same time; that we should serve others. Of course! This started me thinking back to past jobs when I worked in IT support. Nothing gave me greater pleasure than to help colleagues out with computer problems. I enjoyed the work itself of course but making other people happy played a bigger role.

So how can I apply this to my life as it is now? What skills can I possibly offer to other people that I would feel driven to do every day? The answer is obvious to me yet conversely lacks clarity. I realise I spend a lot of my time creating things; whether it is on the computer (for instance making graphics and tutorials in Paint Shop Pro) or off the computer (eg art, photography, writing or anything that involves the creative process). As long as I am creating I am happy. So I have decided, rather than just making things for my own pleasure, I want to spend my time making useful things for other people.
But the question is, what can I make that other people would find useful? This is a question I struggle with all the time and that continually stops me from moving forward in some direction. So instead of waiting any longer for life to take me by the hand, I figured I just have to throw myself out there and see where I land (I’m a poet, and I didn’t know it, lol)! So that is when I decided to make this blog to showcase some of my work. 

So this is how I wish to advertise my services. You get to see my work and you get to decide if I can help you in some way, whether it is creating graphics for a website, or making a tutorial in Paint Shop Pro, or something completely different and non-creative!
One last thing I must mention before I finish this post. All my services are free. Yes, you read me right. Free. I am sure some people might be sceptical as to why someone would offer any service free of charge. Everything revolves around money these days and its hard to get anything that is genuinely for free. However, I find making people happy is more important than making lots of money. That’s just the way I roll. So please enjoy looking at my various creations and hopefully I can be of some service to you in the near future.

“You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment